Let’s talk about your social voice. Your tone on social media. What should it sound like?
That seems like SUCH a simple question … until you get started. You might be thinking, “Well, my social voice is MY voice. I’ll just be myself.” OK, yeah that’s like 70% true. The other 30% (religion, politics, your new fad diet, weird passive-aggressive rants about family members who just take advantage … you get the point) needs to be left out. Don’t do it. Don’t drink and post. Don’t drama and post. Repeat after me … “I won’t do it.”
Now let’s focus on that other 70%. Go head – be yourself (after all – that’s why you’re so successful!) and start connecting with your clients. While communicating with your clients, make sure you SHOW your audience your voice and values – don’t just TELL them. What’s the difference?
Post A: “I just love my clients. You guys always make me feel special!” (Zzzzzz….)
Post B: “Oh my gosh! Look at this little cutie who stopped in with her grandma today! Customer in training!!” [insert the MOST adorable picture you’ve ever seen]
Post C: “Stop in this weekend, tell me what you LOVE about our community, and I’ll give you 15% off your order! Stay tuned … I’ll be posting all of the wonderful things I hear!” (Don’t forget to throw in some hashtags! #smalltownlife #bestcommunity #bestneighborhood, etc.)
So obviously, I’m a fan of B and C. A … eh, you can do better. Your business isn’t about how your customers make YOU feel. It’s about how you make THEM feel.
See the difference? I knew you would!
Be yourself. Be weird. Be quirky (you can tell I am!). Be compassionate. Be “real” and open. Just leave that 30% out while you’re doing it.
First, I'm the mother of three crazy, sassy, sarcastic, hilarious children. Second, I work in the world of social media, email, digital marketing. Third, I'll probably try to tell you what to do.